BrierBaptism

http://youtu.be/w9-7st-0HA0

Monday, March 3, 2014

(Great) Grandma & Grandpa Barad

Leonard and Marilyn Barad are my grandparents - your Grandpa Barad's mom and dad. 
They are a wonderful example of unconditional love.  They are the pillars of a strong, loving, large Catholic family that I am proud we are part of. Their influence taught me the importance of having strong morals and a great sense of pride in your last name. Every decision a 'Barad' makes is one that is based on utmost level of morality and the best interest of the family name. Some words to describe a 'Barad' are introverted, intelligent, moral and compassionate.

Great Grandpa and Grandma Barad met in the 1950s in Chicago and Grandpa loved Grandma instantly - a love that has yet to lose intensity. He tells me stories about how he used to leave candy and love notes for grandma in her locker while they were in high school. He was most definitely in love because great Grandpa Barad has the biggest sweet tooth of anyone I've ever met, so inspiring him to share his candy must have required a very special person. What's even more amazing is that Grandpa still writes Grandma love notes. The notes are proudly displayed on the refrigerator in their home. They were married in 1952. I think this is the most beautiful picture - from shortly after they were married.
Great Grandpa joined the Air Force in April 1958 as a practicing dentist. Grandma and Grandpa lived in many places during his the duration of his service but chose to retire at Sheppard Air Force Base in Wichita Falls.  Grandpa retired as a Colonel. Great Grandma worked as an RN, a registered nurse. Together they made a family consisting of 8 children, your Grandpa Barad being the first boy and fourth born. 

Some of my favorite memories with my grandpa include the numerous times grandpa pulled my loose teeth while growing up. I trusted that my grandpa wouldn't hurt me and I loved getting to sit in a chair and wait for him to pull my tooth with a Kleenex. Grandpa is also a lover of good food. He shares his favorites with those he loves most. I can't remember many times leaving their house without trying a new treat, usually something sweet. I also remember his neat hobbies - like communicating with friends across the country using Morse code on a hand radio, handle K5LB, and building model airplanes. He is a runner, a biker, and a deep thinker.  

I will always remember him as the smartest man I know. He is opinionated and sharp, quick-witted and sarcastic. He tells it like he sees it and never holds back. I admire his passion and unwavering beliefs. He modeled for me what it looks like to be a superior leader. His demeanor could be one that is intimidating because of his strong opinions, but underneath his tough-looking shell is the most loving man. I am sure that his influence taught my dad how to love my mom and be the faithful leader of a family. His smile is infectious and his humor one of a kind.

When I think about Great Grandma Barad, one word comes to mind - selfless. She is truly an angel on Earth. She puts everyone else's needs before her own and her smile is the biggest when she is serving another. Family is number one priority to her and she will always be the first to lend a helping hand.

I remember Grandma teaching me how to cross-stitch. I wish I would have kept up with it.  She would take me to the store and buy kits that would teach me the basics of cross-stitch.  I loved the colorful thread and the time I was able to spend with grandma.  She is incredibly talented when it comes to cross-stitch, quilting, and even beading. She makes priceless pieces and gives them as gifts to the family. Her hands not only produce beautiful works of art, but delicious meals, and comfort.  She takes care like no one else can. Her touch brings instant relief and comfort and her hugs are the best.

I can't wait for you to join in the family gatherings soon.  You will be welcomed with open arms into a warm living room filled with jazz music, home made food, and thought-provoking conversation.  

Love you more...

No comments:

Post a Comment