BrierBaptism

http://youtu.be/w9-7st-0HA0

Monday, June 9, 2014

Your First Month

Up until this point in time, I have been blogging each week - every Sunday at the same time because dad and I like to keep a predictable schedule. Needless to say, we haven't really been in control of our own schedule lately, and it has been anything but predictable. You dominate every decision we make and consume every hour, minute, second of our days - especially mine as I have been home with you everyday since you were born. I wouldn't have it any other way. I would be lying if I said having you enter our lives isn't a huge adjustment as I am accustomed to doing what I want when I want. I don't mind, though. Your precious, tiny face always reminds me of just how helpless you are at this point in time and it is an honor that we are able to take care of you and make you happy (most of the time). 

I'm also not used to feeling some of the feelings of worry I have since you were born. I love you so much it scares me. It scares me because if something were to ever happen to you, I'd never be the same. The intensity of love a parent feels for their baby is something that it difficult if not impossible to explain. I worry about you every second. I want you to be happy every second. I never want you to feel pain or any other negative feeling. This kind of sums it up.
One milestone that has been reached since the last blog post is that you have started sleeping through the night! You did this at a shocking THREE weeks. That's really unheard of. Most babies wake up every three hours to eat, but not you. You started sleeping 6 or 7 hours at a time a couple of weeks ago and mommy and daddy are so rested now. I don't know how other parents who have babies who don't sleep through the night for months do it. Thank you, Brier. 

You are gaining weight. You weighed 10 pounds, 4 ounces two days ago when you turned a month old. You love your bottle most of the time, but you especially love the one that has Karo syrup in it. Karo syrup is a sweet syrup that we put in one bottle a day to help you go to the bathroom. (I know you'll really love reading this when you're older, but you sometimes have a hard time going to the bathroom and that makes you cranky because your belly hurts). Karo syrup helps you go and you love the sugary taste of that bottle. Needless to say, because you're so smart and determined and stubborn, you fight mommy and daddy really hard when we give you the next bottle without Karo syrup. 

In fact, daddy and I were worried that you were developing a preference for mommy's touch a few days ago. Dad would come home just about the time you were supposed to eat your first bottle without the Karo syrup. You would yell and cry and scream for an hour while we tried to feed you. I was the only one who could make you stop crying. It really didn't have anything to do with you wanting to be with me more, I had just perfected the way to comfort you. 

Daddy thought you were crying because you only wanted to be with me, but that wasn't the case. You just didn't like the regular bottle. Daddy would carry you around in the carrier sling and take you to water the garden and bond with you. 
We finally figured out to give you your Karo bottle before bed and you'd forget about the Karo by the time you woke in the morning. We fooled you, sweet baby girl! But, it's for your best interest. Dad and I have tried explaining to you that the Karo is like medicine and you don't need it everytime, but for some reason, you just weren't accepting that - maybe it's because you're merely four weeks old. :)

You love to go for walks with me! I am trying really hard to eat right and be healthy after my pregnancy. I gained a total of 54 pounds with you and I have lost 30 pounds in 4 weeks so far! I feel so accomplished bringing someone as beautiful as you into the world, but I would love my flat stomach back, so I'm really working on that. You are such a fun walking partner! After your morning bottle, we have been going on a 3 mile walk on the trail near our house. We listen to Jason Aldean, John Mayer and Damien Rice on mommy's iPhone as we walk on the trail and you usually fall asleep before I'm finished with the first mile.
You have also met some very important people this month. Great Grandma and Grandpa Barad came to visit you. We took you to lunch with Gigi and Grandpa Barad at Patrizio's in Highland Village and then everyone came back to our house to hold you and spend time with you. You also met your second cousin, Adam. 
You made your first road trips to visit family. We have been to Burkburnett and Granbury in the last two weeks and we realized you're not quite ready to travel. You were very cranky and restless away from your home. We loved being able to share you with family, but they will be traveling to visit us for a while. You need a little time to grow before you're ready for such long trips and that's just fine. 

You also love to go on coffee dates with mommy and her friend Kristen. Kristen has a new baby named Kolbe who is just two weeks older than you. We have been making it a habit since you were born to meet at a coffeehouse, usually Roots, and sit together to talk. You are such a good girl and I can't wait until you can have your first latte or Americano with me!
You have changed so much in such a short amount of time since the last post. You turned a month old last Friday and you are cuter than ever! We love you more than we could ever explain. You are our world and our reason to smile everyday. 
Love you more...

P.S. Please never outgrow your desire to be comforted in my arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment